Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 17th: Friday's Jam SessionS Got Heated!!! Thanks Attitude....


If you have never in your life came out to Paradise Grill in Decatur, GA on a Friday night- then you don't know what you're missing. I help coordinate a showcase called Friday's Jam SessionS- basically it being an open mic for any, all, and every type of talent you can think of. From live bands to poets and painters, we come together every week to network and support each other and enjoy the great food, laughs and all around atmosphere.

My topic though is not so much about the event that I coordinate there, but to talk about the experience I got on this particular night. Tonight, we had like 2 full bands play and then a few others get up to fill in as substitute band members and showcase their talents. Poets came, singers came, we had a few jokes here and there- but my focus was on a band that I am loving fan of, and if I wasn't booking shows all over the place, would be to every show that they do! The group's name is Attitude, headed by lead drummer, Qel Arnold, one of my friends to whom in which I love dearly. He and his band members are all superior musicians and soon, you'll be able to see the performance I witnessed on my site, and a host of other sites and blogs that are linked to it.

HERE'S THE SCOOP: Picture a night where you are surrounded by musicians and people from all walks of life coming together to share their love for fine arts and entertainment. Everyone sharing positive vibes so strong that if you come in unhappy about anything, by the time you leave out, you'll be happy about something! Now, what that happy something is- is your choice... lol...

Well, this is the experience I get each and every Friday- now on to the primary reason right? lol-- okay!!!! Same vibe, as always, hugs, love, etc... The band Attitude grabbed the stage to set up, and from them doing a sound check alone, you could tell that you were in for a treat- or two- or maybe even three!!! Listening to the sound check put me on edge, cause I had invited them to come out and play and I thought they wouldn't-- but back to the story. Just know that my rep was like right there between she's on her J-O and she's a HELL NO! They began the first song, which was a request by our guest host "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday" the Boyz II Men version- and it was slow, but they pulled it off. Claps followed; they did it! I slowly calmed down- mind you, they haven't done enough to get me out of the "dog house" so to speak.

So, the next song was "What You Won't Do For Love", a song played by a band earlier- BUT- BUT- BUT! OMG! All eyes opened wide as I watched these young men take the whole night into a different direction and bring a vibe into the building that was always desired for that spot, but not yet experienced. The creativity they brought to our lives and ears tonight is one that I won't soon forget and will always break my damn neck to go see as much as I can. I wanted to brush the dirt off my shoulders, pop my collar, stanky leg or whatever cool move is going on lately. I was both surprised and very proud at what I heard come from their hard work and constant practice to master their craft. IF you haven't seen them play, get up, get dressed and go!!! These boys are fiery and awesome. Any real lover of live music knows it and shouldn't hesitate to go and give these true musicians the support they deserve. Metro Atlanta has some really beautifully talented people who sleep on themselves, so when you have someone who is willing to share their gift, support them. You won't regret it.

All in all, the night ended to my delight, in a great way, despite the equipment getting hot and I had to make sure that I was safe- cause you know I use hair mousse- that sh!t is flammable! lol. It was primarily because they brought the heat to a lil' spot in Decatur that most don't even know exist yet and before I'm done, will be put on the map for all the love and dedication these people have put in to making this happen. I appreciate them giving me a chance to work with them and on their behalf. Thanks again, Qel & Attitude for showing me love tonight, can't wait to get you back out here again, or even in one of our other venues! You are all talented individuals and true lovers of the the word MUSIC...

No comments:

Post a Comment